Monday, September 9, 2013

Shark Fin Cove - Davenport, CA (Part 1)

A few month back, I took a trip to Santa Cruz and the near by city of Davenport in California. I went to several beaches there that other photographers have recommended to me! They were sure very beautiful. Here are some of the photos I took there. I went to Shark Fin Cove, Panther Beach, Bonny Doon Beach and the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Some of the photos will be like "mini time lapses". If you wish to view those as a slideshow, just click on any image on this blog post and a slideshow should load.

Full Resolution Photos and Prints: If you want to see full resolution photos or buy prints of any of the photos you see, they are up on my portfolio for viewing. To see my best Santa Cruz photos from this trip, use this link. To see all of my Santa Cruz Photos from this trip, use this link.

Parts:
Davenport Beach: Part 1 | Part 2
Bonny Doon Beach: Photos
Panther Beach: Part 1 | Part 2
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk: Photos
Highway Long Exposures: Photos

Today, I have part 1 of Shark Fin Cove. This beach is known for its iconic "Shark Tooth" or "Shark Fin" shaped rock that is slightly off the shore. While the beach is a big hard to get down to (pretty steep climb), it is worth it once you get down there. Some other names this beach goes by is Shark Tooth Beach, Shark Tooth Cove, Shark Fin Beach, and Davenport Cove.

Railroad near Davenport Beach. 
Approximate GPS location (type into Google) according to the Canon GP-E2 GPS Receiver: 37 00 18 N 122 11 06 W 

Overlook of Davenport Beach. I head down there later. As you can see, it is obviously a steep climb down to the beach. 
Approximate GPS location (type into Google) according to the Canon GP-E2 GPS Receiver: 37 00 17 N 122 11 06 W 

The center is the "shark tooth".
Approximate GPS location (type into Google) according to the Canon GP-E2 GPS Receiver: 37 00 14 N 122 11 06 W 


Another overlook for the beach. 
Approximate GPS location (type into Google) according to the Canon GP-E2 GPS Receiver: 37 00 11 N 122 11 06 W 

I shot several photos here including a few long exposures while looking for an easier way down to the beach. There were none. One route down, and very steep hike. Definitely a 2 person job to get down. I did it in flip flops, so it isn't too hard, just a bit scary.  

A few long exposures I did on that look out. 


A "mini time lapse" I did of the shark tooth. 


A "mini time lapse" of the "cove" part of the beach. There is a small cave there that is accessible during low tide. I wanted to go down there, but I'm not much of a risk taker and the tide was coming back in so I didn't. 

These are all the photos for today. I hope you have enjoyed them. Next time I will have more photos from Davenport Beach. Please don't forget to share the blog post with your friends and family members! Also, if you want to get notifications when I post up more photos, "Like" us on Facebook or follow me on Twitter and Google+. These links can also be found on the top of the right sidebar.

Parts:
Davenport Beach: Part 1 | Part 2
Bonny Doon Beach: Photos
Panther Beach: Part 1 | Part 2
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk: Photos
Highway Long Exposures: Photos